Thursday, May 10, 2007

Random Receipts



I've finally mastered the "do it yourself" checkout in the supermarket, and it spews out your receipt once you've paid, but a bit like the "hole in the wall" cash machines no-one picks theirs up. These two belonging to complete stangers, who went through the checkout just before me.

Supermarkets must be able to glean an awful lot of data from these things. The first person here clearly isn't a diabetic, but I'd bet they don't have many teeth, and the second one obviously likes animals and birds and approves of organic food. And that's probably just for starters, if you'll excuse the pun. I suspect that the one with all the sweet stuff is probably a bunch of school kids buying lunch, which they'll graze on the street.

Receipt 1
DIET COKE
VAL SAUS ROLLS
CHEESE SLICES
CHEESES SLICES
JUMBO NOUGAT
JUMBO NOUGAT
TURKEY HAM
COLA CUBES
CHOC SPREAD
FROMAGE FRAIS
VALUE YOGURT
COCA COLA
DIET COKE
CHOC PLANETS
CHOC PLANETS

Receipt 2

BAKED BEANS
OLIVIO SPREAD
WILD BIRD FOOD
DOG FOOD
PEANUT BUTTER
WAFER THIN HAM
FRENCH SALAD
ORGANIC EGGS
ORG MUSHROOMS
COURGETTES

I may collect a bunch of them and collage them in some photographs - as the randomness of it all appeals to me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Interesting indeed ...

8:14 am  
Blogger f:lux said...

And it's not just what's on the list that's interesting, as the order that things have been rung through the till too. The shopper for Receipt 2 is a methodical bag packer.

11:59 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks CB.

f:lux, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. it would be fun to build up a back story for the people behind the lists lol!

2:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done for mastering that till thing. I introduced my friend to it the other day with the precursor that every time I use it I break it and need to call the assistant anyway. I was determined not to break it this time. A pencil. I was buying a pencil for chrissakes. I broke it!

The receipt idea sounds great, although you wouldn't get mine, cos anal old me always takes it in case someone else recreates my card number from the last 4 digits and fleeces me.

Do I sound like I have problems here?

9:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooo, you set me off there, dreaming of whole planets made of choclit! Yum.

10:12 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

V, it take ine too. I yes it hates me too, yesterday it scanned limes as red peppers!

RT I wondered about thouse planets too, wonder if they have moons and suns too?

11:54 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home