Monday, April 30, 2007

Spring clean


I've spent the morning gutting out our bedroom. The stacks of books beside the bed were getting out of control, and the fluff under the bed needed tackling. It is now shining like a new pin, even the windows are gleaming. Tomorrow I'll tackle the uncharted territory of my son's room, but only to retrieve certain household items that have gone in there and not reappeared.

Also cleaning up my photography drives, burning things onto CD, and binning things that aren't quite right, but that I was obviously attached to when I took them.
Tomorrow I hope to vist a garden to take some picture, weather/light permitting. I need to get up early if it's going to be sunny as the light is now too harsh from mid morning to about three/four in the afternoon. At the weekend I took myself off to a favourite wood and just messed about taking ferns unfurling and fresh new beech leaves, which are a lovely delicate green when they first break.

This is a picture of my wisteria, sorry I can't share the scent. It's on the back wall of the kitchen, and I have a few chairs underneath it so we can sit and savour the perfume. Nearby is a large daphne ordora, it always flowers late in my garden as it's in deep shade during the winter and early spring. The scent of the two together is just stunning.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, you've just reminded me that I must do my windows before my parents come visit! Meanwhile I'll imagine the smell of the wisteria.

2:55 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a smaller version that is promising four or five flowers this year already - up two from last year. It's my favourite in the garden, ever since I read about it in a book when I was a little girl... I think the book was called 'Bella'

5:57 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

I hate how the spring light shows up everything. On my windows it's doggy nose prints.

B you've done well to get your wisteria to flower. They're notorious for being difficult. Prune all the long stringy leaders back in January, the bits that will grow leaf rather than flowers, and that will encourage more flowering spurs.

7:19 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Hello!
Yes, "gutting" out the bedroom...I like that!
I also like the wisteria...lovely plant with the most beautiful name, isn't it?

9:37 pm  
Blogger Colin Will said...

The name's based on a mis-spelling, strangely enough. It was supposed to be in honour of the American anatomist Caspar Wistar, but the botanist got the name wrong. According to the botanical rules, it can't be corrected now. Wistaria would have been nice though.

10:11 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

So ofen wisteria can look wishy washy but that looks divine. Years ago I had a lovely daphne myzerium and tried another here bur it has given up the ghost. What colour is yours?
I'm spending the week cleaning prior to a visit from step-daughter who couldn't care less but we are going away afterwards so it has to be done. I quite enjoy when it when feeling fir but yesterday I had a stiff neck and panicked about house garden etc etc.
Just burbling on:)
We have lots of ferns.

11:55 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I always think wisteria such an apt name - evokes wistful airs or something. I too wish I could smell those scents. Mmmm ...
I am really enjoying rambling with camera in hand. Spent yesterday up in the hills in the mist ... I thought of your prize-winning tree photo at one point.

7:44 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Hi Jan, forgot "gutting" might sound weird, it's one of my mother's many colourful expression, she had many, like "do something to justify your existence" and "are you congenitally incapable of closing a door?"


Colin, that's interesting on the name, poor chap, his one shot at immortality! I don't like the sound of wistaria so much.
Pi mine dapne is an evergreen one, it has small lilac coloued flowers, a bit like a big virburum flower. hope you're feeling better.


CB cameras are addictive, although once you accept that to take a really great shake proof, tack sharp shot you must also lug a tripod and a back pack the whole thing takes on a field trip type of a feel.

11:13 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home