Tuesday, May 08, 2007

May,May,May

In Finnish, the month is called toukokuu, meaning "month of sowing".

In Slovene, it is called veliki traven, which means the month of high grass.

In Czech, it is called květen, which means the month of blooms

In Croatian, it is called "svibanj", derived from the word svib meaning dogwood.

Here in Scotland for school students it means external exams. As of today my son has all but left school, as he's now on study leave for his final exams. I can sense the strain, but I just keep putting out good food and clean clothes and saying the odd silent prayer, or whatever passes for one in my head, that he'll come through it with reasonable results.

We have wild winds at present, so picture taking is on hold. Though I've arranged to photograph a series of shots with some members of the local horticultural club who grow championship dahlias and chrysanths.

I've just read Louise MacNiece's poem Flower Show, and it's spot on about such flowers, he writes ..

" having long since forgotten, if they ever knew, the sky,
are grown, being forced, uprooted"

and "But they are too many, too unreal, their aims are one, the
controlled
aim of a firing party."

However, like super models, they are also very photogenic so it should be fun to do. Hopefully I'll also get to meet some growers of monster leeks.

I also found this great wee poem on Jen Hadfield's blog. It's about blue and chakras.
And it's inspired me to write one of my own on another chakra/colour, which I'm taking to Poetry school tonight.

5 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

good luck to your son w/ his exams. i can imagine how stressed he is. i'm sure everything will work out just fine...

4:16 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks BB. I hope it does. Anyway a month and it will be over!

11:25 am  
Blogger Pat said...

As I have always said to mine - you can only do your best and it's not the end of the world!
It is important to lower their stress levels as much as possible. At least he is at home where you can keep a better eye on him. University is a whole new ballgame. Best of luck for your son to have a happy, interesting life.

3:52 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes you're probably right Pat.
Thanks for the good wishes. I hope you enjoy your holiday.

8:23 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Oh yes - thank you - I like both poems.

8:16 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home