Saturday, March 31, 2007

The beat goes on

This is just a mental meander, so be warned!

Yesterday I was at a conference for the charity I work with, it mentors young black, ethnic minority people to help them access training, education and work. It was our AGM, but it was combined with a celebration of the organisation managing to secure further funding. We had reps from major political parties and local authorities and the Scottish Parliament, it's funny how willing they all are to show up when there's an election on!
And we had dancing from Nepal, the Ivory Coast and and piece of musical dedicated to Nelson Mandela and some bhangra. The most touching moment came from a young African who is studying at Edinburgh University, he said he wished he'd found us sooner, because he'd spent Christmas Day all on his own and had never known such loneliness and he had known about us he knows would not have been alone. It was a really good day, and all the better when my wee piece to conference was over.

This morning I worked in the garden, and at one point I was sowing some seeds, and stuffed my hand in a bag of compost, only to think, "that's a squishy piece!" then I looked I realised I had a big fat toad on my hand - I don't know who got the bigger fright!

Brunch followed and I read the piece in the Herald about poet John Giorno. The article features some of his text poems and I really enjoyed them. I think I'm veering towards shorter and shorter poems, that may be a sad reflection on me, but I don't feel like I have the time or patience for longwinded things any more.

Anyway here are three Giorno inspired poems:

NOTHING
PRECEDES
SUCCESS

SEE WHAT YOU WANT
WANT WHAT YOU SEE

SHHH,
IT HAPPENS



4 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Extremely good attempts. I haven't come across this poet before. Must look him up. Short is good - why go the long-winded way when you can say all you have to say in one shot?

4:17 am  
Blogger Jan said...

I liked these!
They Say It All.
They SAy Exactly What's Necessary.
( Not A Lot Of People Do That!)

9:01 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks, it's fun to do, though je pretty much said it all. I think it's years of writing sound bites that attracts me to it.

He's being looked at again because of the new film Factory Girl, which looks at Warhol's life yet again.

11:54 am  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Your 'ethnic' day sounds wonderful. Loneliness in a foreign place is pretty scary. I discovered that when I went to Jamaica to study.

Ewwww, that squishy frog in the compost. I see them in our compost heap, they're big and warty and dogs die when they eat them.

1:22 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home