Monday, March 26, 2007

My birthday tomorrow



Not a significant one, other than it will be almost 5 years since my cancer was first diagnosed.

In the scheme of things 5 years doesn't seem a very long time, but to cancer patients it has a special significance as "survival" is defined as living for five years after the original diagnosis!

So I'm about to become an offical survivor, although breast cancer knows no such boundary and recurrence can occur years afterwards - the latest one I know of is seventeen years. I will remain on medication until at least the end of next year, and possibly beyond that depending on what drug options evolve in the interim.

So I'm very, very happy to chalk up another year, although it is still hard to look forward with any great confidence, but Nieves (who lives with Stage 4 incurable cancer) has taught me to keep sticking things in the diary and then when they appear on the horizon to just get on and do them.

I'm also proud that I've finally taken some risks in my life, whatever happens now I will never have cause to say, "If only......."

I may not be as well off as I once was, but I am richer than I've ever been.

And most importantly of all I've got my son from thirteen to eighteen, and I can't put into words what that means. He is infuriating, but that's good too, because it means he feels confident enough to rebel.

I'm also sad for the women I've known who haven't been so lucky. It is a long list, and they all tried very hard not to leave. So I feel I must try for them too, as to do otherwise would mean nothing has been be gained from this experience.

Anyway must dash, housework to be done and Nieves' garden to tidy.

Here's another gannet shot from yesterday

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Jollly well done. You join my friends Jackie , Joy and nearly Margaret fot the 5 year celebration.
A great birthday present. Yippee!
Hope it's a lovely day.

4:24 pm  
Blogger David Todd said...

Well done!
My Father-in-law had a 10 hour operation for mouth cancer about 17 years ago and simultaneously my sister-in-law was giving birth in the same hospital. It makes it easier for us all to remember that day when my nephew was born that my FIL had that op(his second for mouth cancer).

Just thinking, that must've been a really strange day for my Mother-In-Law

5:19 pm  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

this was a beautiful post.

happy birthday to you and congratulations for making it 5 years and having accomplished so much with your life.

6:01 pm  
Blogger Colin Will said...

Many happy returns. I hope you have a lovely birthday - you deserve it.

6:27 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Fabulous.Have a Very Happy Birthday. Those 5 years must have been SO precious. Have the Happiest time tomorrow.

8:25 pm  
Blogger f:lux said...

And here's to many more such birthdays to come, especially as you obviously have such a lot of great photos in you - how close were you to that gannet BTW? Wow.

10:03 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

thanks everyone, you really are too kind. Cybez your FIL must be one tough cookie, and it's wonderful there was a new lifeto celebrate at such a tough time.

I'm having a low key day, and my son is cooking dinner, which I'll enjoy once I get up off the floor -he's actually cracked open a recipe book!

F:lux I was probably about 4/5 feet away, but it was moving, and boat was rocking so it was a nightmare keeping it in frame. And focusing increased the queasiness as you got all the motion through the viewfinder.

11:14 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Love that gannet.
Happy Birthday and congratulations.
I love your attitude - that probably sounds condescending ... I don't want it to.
It's wonderful that you have been around for your son. Those years are special - they all are, but to see a young man emerge from the chrysalis is amazing and special.

2:58 pm  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Oh I'm glad I read on and got this bit. Well done, Anna. You're a survivor and an inspiration. I admire what you've done with these 5 years, how your photography and poetry has flourished and bloomed.

You rock, girl.

x

7:25 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Sam,and so do you! You're a tonic well a tequila really!

3:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home