Sunday, December 31, 2006

Bridges




As I Scot New Year means a lot to me, even though I know it's no more than an arbitrary line in the sand, and not a portal to the future.

The worst thing about a cancer diagnosis is that it derails your sense of forward motion.

When I was young the future seemed to be a bridge with a six lane motorway and I was in a fast car. Since cancer it feels more like a pedestrian, rickety rope bridge. But the views are so much better, and the company has proved to be rare and very fine indeed, including Nieves, Joanne, Mary, Debs and Sue.

So tonight I take another step forward. It's no more than anyone else does, it's just that it becomes a little more difficult when the blinkers are removed!

And at the bells I'll remember the friends I've lost along the way and give thanks for those who are still with me.


Happy New Year to you and yours. Don't take them for granted!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mybananalife said...

Have a safe and Happy New Year!!!

4:48 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

You too sweetie! We've started to party already here.......

6:51 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

It's been great getting to know you a little over the second half of 2006. I admire your strength and honesty.
Looking forward to reading more of you in 2007. Happy Hogmany!

4:26 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

The very best to you Apprentice - thanks for helping me to appreciate things for what they are :)

11:13 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks CB and barbara, I've enjoyed your lives and opages too.
New Year is always a little rocky for me. Today feels like a "normal" day and I'm glad of it.

Stripping beds and cleaning up.
Like the Indigo Girls say "You've gotta tend the earth if you want a rose" :)

12:01 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home