Monday, December 11, 2006

Rapture

I had a book token left from my 50th birthday in March, I'd salted it away so well I'd forgotten about it! Anyway last week I found it again and amongst other things I bought Carol Ann Duffy's Rapture. I read it a couple of times at the weekend,and I liked many aspects of it. It's not to hand just now, but I especially liked the "Text" poem, and the reference to just queuing up to die if one lives without passion.

She's about a year older than me, and that got me thinking that I don't believe I'd have the energy or the inclination to fall passionately in love with a new person. It's probably a lack in me, but all that sneaking around, and waiting for messages and meetings and being totally besotted and then utterly broken when it ends badly. I feel knackered just writing about the very idea.

I think I'm with Boy George, I'd rather just have a cup of tea, and even then not one that my lover's slavered all over.

I like Edna's St Vincent Millay's take on love, especially her poem Thursday. So this is my homage to Edna.

Friday

I didn’t love you Friday,
which came as a surprise,
after loving you for so long,
suddenly I saw through different eyes.

Will I love you today, tomorrow and the next?
We’ll have to wait and see.
I loved you Thursday, and right now
that feels like quite enough for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

the funny thing is i don't even know if i have the energy for it either! lol...

i like the last line in the poem; that's all you can ask for sometimes!

blkbutterfly (i was forced to sing in w/ my google account.)

3:00 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

You're right sometimes that's all there is to offer!

I switched to beta, as everyone else seems to have, so hence the comments probs, soory! I was torn whether or not to do it, and have still to decide if I want to use a new template, but the though of copying everything over seems like too much hassle.

10:41 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home