Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Poor N

My friend had to have one of her elderly cats put tp sleep yesterday. Poor C had been on a drip for 24 hours, but she hadn't improved. It's always really tough to have a pet put to sleep, but when you're living with Stage 4 cancer it must have a lot more significance. The vet told her to take C's corpse home and show it to Pusskass, her other cat. Apparantely he walked all round C's body sniffing her and then sat down and washed her ears. N was in bits. She said Pusskass just howled all night after that so she not sure it was such a good idea.

C was such a smart cat. My dog chases cats, so when we visited N's house C would walk in slow mo so as not to attract his attention.

Her son buried C in the garden beside another cat's grave and N's right breast. Yes her breast! When she had the mastectomy she asked to get for her breast back, and she took it home and had a wee service for it. I wish I'd thought to ask for mine, it somehow seems a very natural thing to do. I reminds me of the bit in Fried Green Tomatoes were they buried the wee boy's leg after he lost it in the train accident.

Enough of this morbid stuff I better go and walk the dogs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

That's the trouble with animals - they leave you. BTW I have just realised the photo montage is you. They are beautiful.

7:19 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. All self portraits bar the child one, and the baby snap.

Yes they do leave you, but they are so wonderful while they're here. My dog gave me great comfort when I was ill.

9:35 pm  
Blogger Mybananalife said...

That's SO sad. Losing a pet is very hard because they are family.


ps i'm not going to comment about the breast. it's no go territory.

11:19 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks B. On the breast issue, it's more losing a bit of yourself, not that it is a breast, but just that sense that you think you'll go out with all your visible bits at least lol :)

I'm lucky people lose much more valuable external bits than a breast. But it would be a comfort if you knew where it was.

12:11 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home