Thursday, September 21, 2006

Do you ever wish you'd never started something?

I'm working on the launch of Peeling Onions, the wee pamphlet book that I've listed under cancerchronicles in the sidebar.

Friends from the Writers' Group are helping me do a series of readings on health including an excerpt from the poem. Karen Little the med student blogger listed on the nhsdoc's blog, see also sidebar, has allowed me to use a funny piece of hers, and we have poetry, proses, sketches and a few jokes.

We did a read through on Friday last and have another rehearsal on Monday coming. I've been busy rewriting some of the links, and reordering some of the pieces.
I've posted a piece I've written about being in hossie after the mastectomy here. If you get the chance to read it I'd welcome your comments, especially if it helps me polish it a bit.

We've almost sold out the tickets, got about 4 spare I think. We hope to raise a bit for cancer research. I'll just be glad when it's all over.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant Apprentice - just keep going with it, it will be worth it on the night! I remember going through much the same when getting ready to launch my chapbook eight years ago, but the feeling on the evening is one I treasure and the support that everyone gave was tremendous. It makes you feel all glowy inside :¬)

2:25 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Barbara. I feel this is like getting a tiny, wee bit of immortality as I can send off a copy to the National Library, so what ever happens now my views will be on record. Hopefully in years to come people will be amazed that the only way we could treat cancer was to lop of the offending bit.

10:19 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Just read the 'hossie bit'. No way could I improve on that. It is very moving and fun and full of hope and as usual I can't see properly.
I'm all for rehearsals and I'm sure you know all about projection.
Wish I could come' Big hugs!

10:29 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. I'm really quite shy, and I have a quiet speaking voice, so I'm going to have to make myself feel "big" on the night.

10:32 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Forgive me dear, if you know this already, but speak as if you are speaking to someone at the far end of the room - or the exit sign, as we used to say. That naturally projects your voice without straining it.

4:18 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

I'll try. AA couple of the women have done a fair amount of drama, so they're coaching me.

11:40 am  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

When it's over, you'll also feel great that you did it.

One of my fave aunts living in the USA has cancer and it seems to be the most aggressive type.

Wishing you the best of health and good wishes for your project.

2:56 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks GG. Wishing your Aunt good luck in her treatment. I see people with low grade cancer succumb and others with quite aggresive ones pull through, there's little logic to this disease.

11:52 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean apprentice. I feel slightly smug sometimes when I think of my wee chapbook nestling on a shelf somewhere.

3:03 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home