Sunday, January 10, 2010

Reasons to be cheerful four and half

I'm writing this for me. It is just a list of things I'm glad to have experienced these last few weeks and days:

Staying up late and watching The Deer Hunter again. God they all looked so young.

Watching The Secret Life of Bees - even though this film wasn't a great critical success I was interested in the character of May Boatwright. I think the creation of a personal "wailing wall" is something we all need from time to time.

Also coming across the TV show Nurse Jackie - Edie Falco is fabulous in it and the script is sharp and witty. I'm recording the whole series, and I can't wait for the next episode.

Seeing the Margaret Watkins "Forgotten Woman" exhibition at the Hidden Lane Gallery in Glasgow. Talking to the gallery owner about this exhibition and his next one, on the artist Hilda Goldwag, was a treat. He plans to do a whole series of exhibitions on women whose work has been over-looked or forgotten.

Having lunch in the Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed Willow Tea Rooms and then walking past his masterpiece - the Glasgow School of Art. A friend and I made the trip on a day when all the world was saying, "only travel if you have to" and while the pavements were like skating rinks the air frost in the trees, as seen from the bus on the way over, was worth the trip alone.

Seeing that the curlers have ignored the naysayers and gone ahead with an unofficial Bon Spiel. If life is not about taking calculated risk then I'm not sure what is about. (BTW it's not a cold snap -Radio 5 have dubbed it, "quantative freezing" and I agree with them!

We still have snow, but it feels a bit milder today, evidenced by the fact that the bird bath has water in it again and not ice. My weather diary is now in its second year and already it is interesting to look back - this time last year the winter aconites were through, no such luck this year.....

Some shorties that have occured to me over the piece/peace.

sheep in snow
so many shades of white

air frost –
trailed by my breath-self
and a single set of prints

heron ousts cormorant
cormorant ousts heron
channels yield to ice

blackbird lunges, thrush parries
another January day gnaws
at family ties

5 Comments:

Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

Wonderfully stimulating shorties, Anna! You've inspired me to try to find some here today.

4:48 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely to have you in the blogsplash! Would you mind sending a quick email to fiona@fionarobyn.com so I can add you to the list? Ta!

11:10 am  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I love your short pieces, specially the sheep....

I really like the Willow Tea Rooms too....

the Almond Waterfall wasn't frozen, but the icicles are magnificent, more on my blog tomorrow! I was glad too that the curling went ahead, you're right calculated risk is a good thing....

1:15 pm  
Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Oh and Nurse Jackie! Particularly loved the first episode...and the music from Valley of the Dolls at the end of it.
x

5:23 pm  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

Very nice list... inspires me to write my own. I need to work on writing about good experiences in my life.

I liked The Secret Life of Bees... Have you read the book?

Best wishes in 2010! :-)

4:03 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home