Monday, January 25, 2010

Here I am

News on friends continues to be heart-breaking, as my dear N had bad news with her latest MRI. I just hate the fact that she has to go yet another round with this disease, and seeing what the news does to her and family. Sometimes life just asks far too much of those we love.

Today I spent the afternoon in the garden, it is the only place my head stays clear at present, as I meander from one job to the next. Today I spread ash, from my neighbour's wood-burning stove, around under my fruit trees. I did it last year too, and it seemed to really boost the crop.
And then I cut back the stalks of perennial things. The place has a bare look to it, especially after the disappearance of all the snow. At this time of year it is hard to believe it will ever be the mad plant-packed space it is in June.

Tomorrow I'm going to sow some seeds into Jiffy compost pots in the propagator. I always find this soothing, the tiny capsules cupped in my hand, shaking them into damp compost, the labelling, the smell of wet earth, the anticipation.........

This is This Mortal Coil, with a Tim Buckley song, Song to the Siren - I find it beautiful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Just reading you write about your work outdoors is calming!
x

9:14 am  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

Oh, Anna. Loving, gardening. You bring the nature of their connection to heart. January is so bleak here this year. Thank goodness for my friends, who have buttressed me, watered my dry soil, and been the sunlight through the angry clouds. Sounds like you and N have such a fortifying friendship. I'm sending you both a handful of strength seeds!

6:14 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. Bless you for your courage and your the solace you find in the garden.

I shall bear in mind about the wood ash - we add it to the compost in moderation, but find that many of our ornamental fruiting and flowering trees do OK, but are often short of fruit and flowers.

5:16 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home