Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Back trouble


I think my back is improving, though it is to backs what a glass chin is to a boxer, as I still feel like it could "pop" again at any moment, but the pain is now just intermittent. I always feel reassured when pain fluctuates as my surgeon said that anything bad would hurt continuously.

I'm also brooding about a disagreement with a female acquaintance. I caught her lash indirectly, but I feel bad on few counts, 1) I've let it bother me when I don't think it really merits it, 2) I feel I've let myself down as since the illness I've worked hard at rising above this sort of rubbish and 3) I realise I really don't respect this person opinion and somehow now I've acknowledged that fact anything she says just rubs me up the wrong way. Perhaps putting it down in black and white here will allow me to work my way through it.

There is good news though, the bid I helped put together for the Edinburgh charity I work with has been successful and they can now work full steam ahead to deliver it.
I'm quite proud of this as I did a lot of research on it, and I think made a good reasoned argument for the funding. It was work akin to my old job and it feels good that I can still pull this stuff off, this time from the other side of the fence and at a time of my choosing!

And N is doing a creative writing course at the Maggie's Centre. (She wanted me to do it too, but I decided I'd just be taking a place someone currently in treatment could probably use and at the moment I don't feel like I've the resources to get to know new people going through what I did.) But she took a copy of Peeling Onions with her, and the course tutor wants to buy more copies for their library. She also has a friend on the course dealing with late stage ovarian cancer, and she's asked for a copy too, and I've given her a copy as a gift. This really pleases me as it is being read by folk in the who know and they think it is worthwhile.

And finally my MIL's house sale now has a closing date and we can start to think/look at more suitable accommodation for her nearer all of us.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

This may come as a surprise to you but nobody is perfect. No not even me. Therefore be proud of the valuable work you have just done and shrug your shoulders about the rest.
Puke making but true.

4:45 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

You're probaly right, and it's probably a good sign that I'm "sweating the small stuff"!

1:25 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Sorry about the irksome stuff; interpersonal, back problems and the like. Good for you to pass up something you don't feel up to.

Just got news one of our closer friends round here has to have chemo following removal of a breast tumour; this news is worse somehow than that she had the tumour and the op, partly because her husband started chemo a year or so ago and reacted so badly it nearly killed him and they stopped it, so her experience of it has been awful. We're worrying about them both, they aren't young.

Anyway, don't mean to dump on you, but I'm glad you could get stuff out in black and white here.

4:25 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Lucy. I hope to post your stuff tomorrow. It's my husband's birthday today, so cooking and things!

5:41 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Happy Birthday to Hubs:)

3:35 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with pi -wise words, which I shall post-it on the fridge!

On the good-news front, that's very heartening for the charity getting its bid accepted; and also your peeling onions going to wider places too!

Enjoy your cooking and putting love into food - my favourite way of showing the family I care :)

10:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on the charity grant! I remember when you did it and what a lot of work it was. It's people like you using their considerable skills that make the world truly a better place for others. Give yourself a pat on the back, darling, you surely deserve it. These grant applications are by no means a sure thing, I bet you did a bang-up job.

I hope the irksome woman isn't someone you have to deal with regularly. Banish her from your thoughts like you would remove a poisonous frog from your kitchen sink. Use tongs.

6:28 pm  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

sorry to hear about the irksome, small stuff sweating issues. but, fabulous news about the charity work coming to fruition and seeing that your work is valued and used by those who understand and need it the most.

1:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home