Monday, March 31, 2008

Shore Poets


I really enjoyed last night. I was first up, which was terrifying and good in equal measure.

Colin Will was there, as well as Alan Gay, Mike Davenport and Mary Johnstone from my Tyne and Esk poety group. And there were a few faces from the SPL School of Poets group too.

I think I read as well as I could have, and I got a lot of kind and complimentary comments afterwards. So another experience under my belt, and good practice for the National Galleries event in mid April.

I sometimes wonder why I do these things to myself, but secretly I know that challenging yourself is the best way to still feel like you are alive and engaged with life.

Though I must admit that at times I despair of this world, Tibet, Dafur, the Middle East, Zimbabwe...

But this morning there is glimmer of hope for Zimbanwe. Let's hope its long trial is about to end. The average life expectancy for a woman there has fallen from 67 to 34! Its people deserve so much more than that. It is a rich land in many ways - may today be the start of better things.


Photo is of St Mary's Pleasance, Haddington at the height of the summer. We're on our way back!

6 Comments:

Blogger Colin Will said...

I thought you were great last night. You had chosen the right material for the gig, and you read it very well, without any sign of nerves.

1:20 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Brave you!

That photo has a lovely calm atmosphere.

Let's just hope Zimbabwe doesn't erupt like Kenya if the result isn't what the ruling powers want, they were so blatant about how they would suppress the opposition. Such a tragic and infuriating waste that it has come to the state it has.

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time to your blog... You have facinating photos that tell facinating stories! I shall return!

Cheers!

5:26 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

You are going to be Sooooo experienced but I imagine you will always feel that frisson of nerves which I believe is necessary to give you that edge. Well done!

12:13 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

'I sometimes wonder why I do these things to myself, but secretly I know that challenging yourself is the best way to still feel like you are alive and engaged with life.'
Hear, hear!
Glad the reading went well.
LOVE the photo! Enjoy your Spring moments. Looking forward to lots of photos.
Belated Happy Birthday too.

11:46 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks all. Welcome Doug, nice of you to look in.

4:37 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home