Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Stung!!!


I was walking the dog yesterday and something seems to have stung me. I didn't feel it because it is on my "bad side" where the nerves were cut during surgery. But it is now the size of a wee football, so it must have been the swan song of a bee or a wasp. I'm taking antihistamines and putting cold presses on it, but the lymph drainage on that side is poor so it will take a long time to go down. Only good thing about it is I can't feel it.

It kind of looks like this.............

The weekend was fun. We ended up swapping i-pod music, it was like being back in our bedrooms 40 years ago playing each other tracks off our latest favourite albums, except the technology was much slicker.

I met an old work friend on Monday for lunch. She only recently discovered that her partner has been in another relationship all the years they have been together. Needless to say she is devastated and her former partner has now left to live with the other woman. My friend stands to lose her home as well, as property prices have gone up so much she can't afford to buy out her ex-partner's share.

It must be awful to feel your whole relationship has been based on half-truths. I found it upsetting to see a lovely, generous person so bewildered and hurt. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.

9 Comments:

Blogger f:lux said...

Jeezus that looks nasty! Apart from allergic reaction, the only thing I can think of that would cause a reaction like that is a horsefly.

And I agree with you re: your old work friend.

1:01 pm  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

That's a bad one! Could it have been a cleg? They're vicious. I had a bite on my leg once that lasted a year and discoloured all the skin around it for another year.

That's an awful story about your friend. God, what a horrible turn for life to take after all these years together. She must feel horribly betrayed.

2:20 am  
Blogger Pat said...

There are some weird biters this year.I have had to stop wearing my mother's wedding ring after a bite which refuses to fade.
Your friend is probably better off without him but it's too bad if she has to lose her home - that's serious.
Hope your bite fades quickly.. Sam is right clegs are the worst.

10:22 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yegods, that looks awful.

What a tragic story about your friend. A not dissimilar thing happened to a friend of mine, married for years only to realise that her husband had been unfaithful to her literally from the start but with more than one woman. Fortunately he did several decent things even though they are now divorced - but the agony and pain she went through has been heartbreaking - and it's been heartbreaking to see it too.

2:17 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

What a painful post all round!
Hope your shoulder and your friend's heart heal well.

8:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would agree that it must have been a cleg - they are horrible bites!

Your friend's story reminded me of something similar I heard about an acquaintance. But he 'married' them both and had family with both women. We ony found out about it about a year ago!

10:42 pm  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

I wanted to reach into the photo to try to smudge out the red! :-) I hope it gets better soon.

Sorry to also hear about your friend. It's amazing what we will do to each other. And it's pain no one deserves!

12:31 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What a nasty-looking bite. Hope it goes down soon. Over here we have white-tailed spiders that do that.

My mother would call your friend's husband a 'pig dog'(a brutish type of ugly dog that hunts wild pigs) - but even those dogs probably deserve better than to have their name used on someone like him. People who do that are thieves, and in the end get what they deserve.

2:45 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks all. I'm sure it was a cleg. It's gone down, but there's a bit of a scab left. I react badly to bites. as a child in W Africa I was bitten to bits by things and my mother virtually swassled me to stop things eating me up.

On the friend the partner was actually another woman, so the situation is very complex.

12:46 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home