Saturday, September 15, 2007

Tanka

At the Poetry School the other night Alan Gay, a very good poet indeed, read a funny Tanka he'd written about a retired general advertising in a lonely hearts column.

Tanka is a Japanese five lined poem that has seven syllables in lines 2,4 and 5 and five in lines 1 and 3.

I liked the idea so much I've tried one, though I won't swear to my syllable count as my crazy brain cells find that hard to do, so feel free to correct me if I've miscounted.

And feel free to join in, I'd love to read yours.

Here's mine:

Milkman, own
teeth, seeks dairy lover
for early morning
fun. Be my gold top, but
please, no semi-skimmed.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that's brilliant! I love haiku and now you've given me another short form to play with.

1:40 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very good Apprentice - will nick this one to play with too. So well done :)

9:58 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

One day I might get back to writing poetry again ... having a bit of time off just now ... Have enjoyed catching up. Your poem 'Flown' had me choking up a little - I can identify very much o the first time we had an empty house.

6:00 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Great!
What about a full cream jersey!!

8:21 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that's really funny. And thanks for telling us about the form.

9:45 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks all. Jan great idea on the full jersey! A woman with my sense of humour clearly!

CB I'm sure you'll come back to poetry, especially with the new job, you could fail t be inspired there!

I am missing him, at times it's hard to believe we've entered into this new phase, but I hope I always knew I only had a loan of him, and that it was my job to prepare him for a bigger world.
And the way things are going he'll probably be back at 30 like a cuckoo in the nest lol!

11:31 am  
Blogger Pat said...

That I like.

10:55 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home