Monday, September 17, 2007

Beware the company you keep


Excellent letter in today's Glasgow Herald re Brown taking tea with Thatcher. The letter is short and sweet, it points out that the last time the writer saw Thatcher taking tea it was with Pinochet and reminds Gordon about being judged on the company he keeps.

This will now make a great pub quiz question, eg

Q. What do Gordon Brown and General Pinochet have in common?

A. They've both quaffed Earl Grey with Margaret Thatcher.

Meanwhile the Northern Rock thing rumbles on. I wish I was a cartoonist, I'd draw Alistair Darling rowing out in stormy seas to relieve a battered Northern Rock light, while his Mam, Gordon, looks on anxiously from the shore.

I wonder when mortgage holders will be told how they stand? If it is sold off will they incur new rates from the purchaser(s)? The people should be told, as the papers like to say.

There's a lot at stake here, not least Labour's credibility about being good with money.

And the banks are quick to charge their customers, so it's about time they all came clean and at least told each other and the Treasury just how exposed they are to this mess.

Where's the Gordon bounce now? Foot and mouth is back, including WA's appointment north of the border and one in five British mortgage holders don't know what's going on with their single biggest investment, upon which is predicated their old age pension and probably their kids tertiary education, given we have to be self-sufficient in all things these days.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ha, since when did the people ever get told anything unless it was in an authority's interest to do so. The powers that be are generally not given to inspiring credibility - or integrity.

4:52 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

we've all been sold down the river, sugar...and it isn't over yet...

7:38 am  
Blogger Pat said...

I shall never see Alastair and Gordon in the same light again.

2:59 pm  
Blogger ancient clown said...

Blessings:

This was my birthday and I thought I'd share my wish and a poem that could also be shared with any of these so-called leaders.

"Why We're Not Here"
There has been a question
That has crossed everyone's mind
It has plagued us all
From the beginning of time.

It's been asked in churches
They haven't a clue
It's been asked in schools
But they're asking you.

It's been tackled by scholars,
Doctors, lawyers, and judges
And where writers have tried
We find only smudges.

Great thinkers have tried
And tried, and tried again
The closest of these I think
Was Mark Twain.

In the history of man
It remains unclear
And the question is
Why are we here.

To help out a bit
I have some suggestions
To find the right answers
You must ask the right questions.

Are we here to be the type
Who kills and destroys
Who builds themselves bombs
And plays with nuclear toys.

Surely we're not here
To ravage the trees
The rivers, the lakes
The oceans and seas.

I don't think we're here
To learn how to hate
Nor to suppress
Enslave, or mutilate.

I know we're not here
To watch children starving
Not with turkey politicians
Ripe for the carving.

I doubt that we're here
To spread this disease
I doubt that we're here
For any of these.

So what could it be
If none of the above
What of understanding
Compassion, and love.

With life so confusing
And answers so rare
I thought that just maybe
My thoughts I would share.

your humble servant,
ancient clown

8:52 pm  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

politics is definitely amusing...I often find it a stress reliever

12:48 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like Tony picked a good time to get out, eh?

1:53 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

That's a really very witty cartoon idea...(love the pun on Darling)

3:02 pm  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

Hey there,
There's a new writing project up at The Shameless Lions Writing Circle site. Please check it out and I hope you can take part and promote it. Also, check out the "latest news" section. P.S I don't see your lovely lion displayed here! :-)
Cheers, Seamus.

6:58 pm  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Ah, I'm there! I can see them! I can see the fretful Gordon clutching at her shawl'n'biannac and wringing her hands (in between the clutching) in dismay at her Darling risking the Accountant Sea (Wish that was mine - but I cadged it from the Pythons) for her sake, and hollering "Oh do be careful, DO!" at him, in falsetto. He does look a bit like Terry Jones, doesn't he, ole Gord'?

12:57 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so true! Now that you point it out, he does, Sam!

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home