Monday, June 25, 2007

Treeness



I loved the interview with David Hockney at the RA's Summer Exhibition about his massive picture of trees. He said the Chinese maintain that you can't paint trees, you must paint treeness . I think that's a lovely idea. This is a wee concrete poem/doodle I did with that in mind.

It's still very dull and soggy here. I read this piece of a Hardy poem today, To a movement in Mozart's E-flat Symphony:

Show me again the time
When in the Junetide's prime
We flew by meads and mountains northerly!
Yea, to such freshness,fairness,fulness,fineness, freeness,
Love lures life on.


and now I just feel cheated..... of the light and the warmth and the outdoors and everything. Off to clean cupboards and sulk.......

6 Comments:

Blogger f:lux said...

I like the idea behind your treeness doodle, but... a skillful calligrapher would perhaps interpret the words with more flow. And suddenly I'm remembering the poems-on-photos experiment you posted a while back - perhaps a collaboration with a calligrapher would be interesting there too?

10:50 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

If I knew one! :) It was just a bit of fun really

10:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, cabinets cannot really compare to the open air. I would sulk too.

7:48 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

i'll not complain about heat/sun/heat/humidity/heat anymore...i love the "treeness"

3:02 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Jason and Savannah. It's been the worst June I can remember, and I've seen a few! Light levels have been like November at time with the fog and rain. I've not managed to sit out in the garden since April!

9:35 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

'freshness,fairness, fulness, fineness' ... I do like that list.

5:31 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home