Saturday, June 16, 2007

Renga - Cold Blast




Cold blast at Coldingham

A renga written at Coldingham Bay, Berwickshire, 14 June 2007
by Anna Dickie, Jo Gibson, Hilary Graham, Colin Will (I've added the picture of the ragged crow, which is based on one of my photographs.) Colin's kindly put some notes on his blog about renga see here.


cold blast

coast path -

a photo would deceive



cow parsley dances, ragged crow

balanced on the breeze



dogs fetch kelp stalks

bark at the surf

the wind wags its tail



ghosts of bathers look up

at a shrouded sun



a bench sags at its centre

where long-gone lovers

leaned together



summer crouches low to the ground

one bee on a tuft of thyme



stony-faced lichens

watch the waves

dash pebble hopes



silver spoon

eaten by the ocean's hunger



year wanes

bashed neeps -

lunatic tide



salt-seasoned

sand-blasted driftwood



gannets cut cold words

into a sky thinned

to membrane



bramble flowers -

jam tomorrow



[verse attributions: AD 1, 7, 9, 10; JG 4, 8, HG second line of 2, 5, 6, 11, CW 3, Combined 12]

6 Comments:

Blogger Colin Will said...

I've put notes on renga on my own blog (http://colinwill.blogspot.com)

The Coldingham one wasn't quite the coldest one I've done. That would be the one at Dawyck Botanic Garden at the end of October some years back. We* sat outdoors on the platform, with only a bamboo screen for shelter (it didn't) for six hours.

* As I recall, Alec Finlay, Martin Lucas, Jayne Wilding, Vicky Feaver, myself and others.

8:26 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Wow! Thanks for full explanations. I feel all renga-ed up now! Beautiful verses, and although I've seen the photo before, it's striking enough to warrant many re-visits.

12:13 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow this poem is way cool. And Renga sounds way cool too. Maybe we could do one over at the Lions Writing Circle? Have you suggested that?

2:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought this was really well caught - love the sparse images!

Will visit Colin's too!

9:26 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

The verses are very evocative - and I love the picture.

5:56 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks all, it was fun to do.
V feel free to suggest it -I'm not even sure where to look to post it, I'm a nitwit that way.

12:14 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home