Thursday, June 14, 2007

Places that scare me

There's a good book on this subject by Pema Chodron that I read from time to time and then momentarily imagine that I've had some earth-shattering insight into the meaning of life, love and the universe.

But this is my back of an envelope list of places that scare me.

Waiting Rooms - now is never the time there.

Communal Changing Rooms - at fifty you're invisible until you strip off - especially when you've had a mastectomy

Anything called a mall - I always emerge feeling mauled

Garages and services shops - again invisible, but now stupid too

Check in desks - I wonder when I finally check-out if someone will ask "did you pack the bag yourself?"

Drive Thrus - the only place you allow a disembodied, muffled voice to feed you!

Anywhere called a "homeland" - no-one else feels at home there.

Reality TV - if this is reality get me out of here!

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I exempt Paris, New York and Sydney but strange cities frighten me and large soulless office areas. Bulls and cows en masse,if I have to walk near them, fierce dogs, drunks and mad people.

3:51 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Lots of scariness here; I know exactly how you feel!

5:34 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Funny how we're scared of different things. Cows and dogs never bother me, I must give off some pack or alpha female vibe lol!

10:09 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Weird.
And what scares us as individuals is interesting...
Ive been scared STIFF to speak up in staffrooms of self-opinionated teachers ( some, I hasten to add, are lovely)
BUT I can stand up with ease on a stage in a theatre and introduce a Famous Person...

10:23 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Maybe it's about playing a role when you're on stage and being prepared and rehearsed, whereas one to one engagements in less formal settings are less predictable?

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home