Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Joanne



My dear friend Joanne is not doing at all well. She just been told her lung mets have got worse and her lungs are filling with fluid, which has to be drained by an invasive procedure. They are changing her chemo yet again to try and combat the spread.

But she and I have both watched too many other friends travel this road for there to be any pretense left.

I'm really so very tired of seeing good women\mothers\daughters\sisters\aunts lost to this cruel, heartless and relentless disease.

Sorry to be so down, but I think one has to acknowledge the losses to this disease as well as the very welcome gains.

My neighbour, a GP herself, is running in the Moonwalk this weekend to raise cash for research. I really appreciate that and I'm sponsoring her. I just wish things could move a little faster, especially on triple negative breast cancer, which is what Joanne has, for which there is no hormonal treatment, just chemo and radiotherapy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I have a very old friend who knows she has a long road to travel over the next months.
Let us hope for advances and improvements.
Sending very best wishes.

8:27 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Sorry about your friend Jan, I hope she does well in treatment and afterwards.

I'm OK, I'm just upset for Joanne, she's a sweet, kind, decent woman who deserved a break.

It all so arbitary.

12:12 am  
Blogger Pat said...

I'm sad for you and for Joanne. You are both in my thoughts.

3:56 pm  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

My friend Jackie isn't doing well at all. She had breast cancer years ago, and a double mastctomy but they didn't get it all and it travelled to her lung. Now it's in her brain and they have stopped treatment.

I go and see her weekly but yesterday was a real shock. She can no longer walk unaided. She can still talk and makes sense, although she often slurs, but her hands are all shaky and she can only chew very slowly.

It is deeply depressing to watch her slip away like this. I hope with all my heart they can find a cure for these vigourous cancers.

4:21 pm  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I'm so sorry about your friend Joanne.

4:22 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks for sharing your friend's story Sam, it is heartbreaking to see what it does to those you lovve, any that cruel series of terraces as their lives narrow and narrow, I hate that the most, though mosty of my friends have managed it with tremendous dignity.

7:01 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

So sorry, Apprentice.
Having no pretense left, looking things straight in the eye is admirable, and inevitable, but must sometimes be very comfortless.
All the best to you and Joanne.

5:53 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home