Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Home

I had a great weekend. The weather in the north was the best in the UK. Not scorching, but dry at least. I helped at the festival, setting a woodland trail for the kids. And I watched a bodger make amazing chairs from pieces of green newly cut wood.

My friend B and I cleared some big vegetable beds, which are framed by willow hurdles with a willow arbour in the middle. Then I planted thrift, the pink seaside plant, in the paving round about and lavender and sweet peas at the foot of the arbour. By July it should smell beautiful.

Oyster catchers have nested in the walled garden, they have with two chicks, so it was far from peaceful as the parents screeched every time we got too close to where the babies were. On one occasion they even tried to dive bomb us.

The Head Gardener also taught us how to make willow wigwams to support climbers, and I managed to get mine in the car to bring it home. We also helped making a big willow screen, which will act as a hide so people can watch the birds and squirrels feeding on the other side, wee windows will be left at different heights in the screen.

I came home really tired, but happy. I also took some great woodland shots of wild garlic flowering in huge drifts under the birch trees.

The bad news is my friend's MRI has shown the tumour is not responding to the chemo, so it's been stopped and they're looking at a clinical trial, or another chemo which will only be for pain management, and which will leave N bald for the duration. She has a lot to think about and my heart aches for her.

So we are into a new phase, I just hope I can be a good support.

2 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

it's wonderful that you had a tiring, but enjoyable trip. makes me want to take a weekend getaway. i'm sorry to hear about your friend. i'm sure you are and will be a great support to her.

8:33 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks. It was a good trip. My friend is great. She refuses to let this disease rob her of any more of her life. So we surfed the net looking for good deals for house blinds as she's decorating.

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home