Friday, March 31, 2006

Poor Prague


Heard on the news this morning that Prague is on flood alert due to snow melting very rapidly in the mountains. I hope the city comes through unscathed. It's a marvellous place. Like Galway, music is a way of life here, not an added extra or a bolted on bonus, but a completely necessary part of daily life. We went to one of the many church concerts, and, while it was pop classics fare designed to pull in the punters, the musicianship was excellent, and the acoustics in the old church were stunning, the notes just soared away.

People were kind and polite, although it felt strange to hear a young guide refer to the "Communist Era" as though it was remote history. My favourite ironic fact - the Museum of Communism is located up the stairs from McDonalds! (There must be a picture book in McDonalds around the world. May be people could send their snaps to me?) I also liked the potato soup served in a loaf of bread! The architecture is wonderful, huge buttressed churches, massives domes, soaring spires and the sense of east meeting west. I'd go back in a blink.

My fiftieth birthday was wonderful. I hesitated marking the occasion as I don't like being the centre of attention at the best of times, but I'm really glad I did it. I could sense people were genuinely happy to see me looking well and happy, and that made me feel like I was giving them something back for all the worry I'd put them through during my cancer treatment. It also reminded me that we should celebrate the victories in life, however small they are - they are very precious. My husband and best friend made funny, touching speeches, and for that alone it was worth having the party, so nice to hear good and wise things said about you - don't leave it for the funeral lol!

I got lots of lovely presents, including camera shop vouchers, and a special, photographs allowed, personal guided tour round the Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh.


Then I got flu, but I'm on the mend now, although my legs are still a bit Bambi like.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you had a good time. Strangely enough I was talking to someone yesterday who is off to Prague for a few days. It must be the in place to go.

I'll stick to walking Offa's Dyke next week.

You'll have to update your info at the top of your page - you're 50 now.

6:37 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Ha Ha, you;re right Walker, I changed it!

No pain barrier this time, forty was harder lol!

2:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done. Next stop 60 and I'm nearer than you ....

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home