Tuesday, March 24, 2009

National Galleries for Scotland

I heard a few days ago that I've been made runner up in the published section of the National Galleries for Scotland Inspired? Get Writing!Creative Writing Competition.

This is the fourth year of the competition which is a three-way partnership between National Galleries of Scotland, the English Speaking Union and the Scottish Poetry Library.

Last year I got a special merit in the unpublished writers section.
But with Heart Notes being published last year, as well as having a few things accepted elsewhere, I had to step up to the published part of the competition. So I'm really amazed to have been awarded a runners up prize, as well as a further special merit award for another piece, at the first time of trying in this category. I submitted four pieces and got prizes for two, which can't be bad.

I think it means I'll have three pieces in the very beautiful biennial publication that will come out the September and will include all the art work and the winning pieces from the last two years - including pieces by the talented Alan Gay and Rob MacKenzie.

The two pictures I chose to write about were Alison Watt's wonderful Sabine, which is my runners up piece, and a tiny jewel of a landscape by the 17th century artist Hendrick Avercamp, called A Winter Landscape.

The readings and presentation are in May and I think my prize is a book of tickets for two for all of the up and coming exhibitions in the next year.

12 Comments:

Blogger tea and cake said...

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS to you!

8:10 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks TC - I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, but I'm always convinced there will be a Sir Sean moment when someone says , "Shurely Shum Mishtake?"

8:18 am  
Blogger Pat said...

Better and better - I'm proud of you:)

9:57 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Mum!

12:10 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

I'm proud of you too, but you know that!

5:09 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Lucy, your a good friend.

I think I'm getting Kate Winsletitis

5:24 pm  
Blogger Colin Will said...

Don't do that A! One Kate Winslet is enough.

11:01 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations, A. That prize means you have no excuse for not entering next year ;)

11:25 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thank you both. Been a good week with it being a certain person's birthday too around now.

3:28 pm  
Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Well done!

8:22 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Oh sorry this is a bit late! BUT Congratulations - I'm beaming all over for you! (Through your night and my day!)

1:02 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks girls - I'm well chuffed as thy say :)

11:16 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home