Saturday, March 28, 2009

End of........




As they used to say on the Fast Show, this week I've mostly been - clearing out.......

I've been sorting out my MIL's crockery and glass to see what might be worth going to auction, what the family wants to keep etc etc. The house is starting to feel less like a home and more like a waiting room, which is rather sad.
I think I counted over 20 glass thingies for putting in vases, a photo of some of them here off my Flip, with another shot of some of the Spode.

I've also had a birthday recently and got some poetry books from folk, including "Poems" by J H Prynne, clearly someone thought , that'll sort out her out - get your head around that then!
It is a huge tome and quite daunting, but I'm actually starting to like some pieces, as I read and reread them.
It makes you realise just how far one can push the boundaries of language and meaning, in a world where others are doing that anyway, either to sell us things, or convince us that their own world view is the right one, phrases of the moment like "quantitative easing" spring to mind.

John Kinsella 's helpful introduction on Prynne is at the clickable link, as is his appreciation of Prynne's poem Rich in Vitamin C .

A list poem that Roddy Lumsden did at Stanza was a bit Prynne - like, it was based on various technical terms used in the firefighting, a very suitable subject in the week of the G20 summit.
And I'm sure the President of Brazil's recent words to Gordon Brown would form the basis of a good poem, especially:

Before the crisis it looked like they knew everything about economics. And now they have demonstrated they don't know anything about economics.
These were people who appeared to be gods of wisdom.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

Happy belated birthday, Anna!

1:18 pm  
Blogger Pam said...

Spring cleaning here too. Finally warm enough on the east coast to be cleaning out winter's dustup. I like the blue plates etc. but then I have a problem with blue stuff.

7:49 pm  
Blogger blkbutterfly said...

happy belated birthday!

3:47 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful colours in the Spode. I think everyone's having a clear out, lately.

Happy birthday to you as well - I nearly glided past that piece of news.

And yes, those words from Brazil would make a good poem bounce-off point...

10:58 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks all, I quite like birthdays no, for obvious reasons.

The clear out is at my MIL's -the house is sold and we have to have everything out by the middle of May. I'm assisting, but it is for my husband and SILs to decide what goes and what stays.

2:14 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

All the best people are born about now. Heaven forfend that any husband would actually allow any 'getting rid of' I have to do it by stealth.
Those glass thingys remind me of grave yards. I'd happily ditch those.

12:10 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes we Arians, born leaders of men etc :)

5:38 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Happy Birthday!

1:04 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home