Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Busy, busy, busy

Yesterday John, one of the other trustees, and I spent the morning planting the second phase of the cottage garden. We had to barrow in all the plants from the gate and then layout the planting plan on two big beds, one being a mirror image of the first, and then put in about 300 herbaceous plants. The turf is also down in parts and the whole thing is starting to pull together.
It has been a huge undertaking, deciding on the revamped layout, doing the drawing of the plan, researching suitable plants, working with nursery on what was still obtainable that was period appropriate and getting their helpful ideas on designs for planting the four beds, sourcing the new hedge and putting it in back in the autumn and working with the Community Volunteers to clear the site and layout the new beds and paths.

But yesterday it all came together and I must admit to feeling really proud of all our efforts. Members of the public stop to chat too and told us how they couldn't wait for it to grow and flower. It will be a typical blaze in June/July, but that's how things were back then, and leaves and seedheads will extend the interest.

I didn't take the camera as I had really dirty hands, but this shows some recent shots.

http://thepleasancehaddington.blogspot.com/

I also got asked for a copy of Peeling Onions for a friend of friend who is going through breast cancer treatment just now and got a lovely letter yesterday from the woman, which included this, " I could relate to so much of what you have written and it made me laugh and cry, especially about the diagnosis and other people's feelings."

So yesterday was a good day, it is well worth being alive when you can see that you have made a tiny difference to the world and someone else's life.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think Peeling Onions should be made widely available, it's the fact that there is laughter as well as tears that makes it work so well.

6:37 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Barbara. I'm glad I did it, it was very cleansing and made me think about what I wanted from the rt of my life.

10:53 pm  
Blogger Rouchswalwe said...

This makes me think of a song ~ the exact title eludes me ~ but it is about helping a bird back in its nest, and by having done only that one little thing, the day is a good one.

11:49 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks R, yes it had that feel to it, a simple "goodness" that I've not felt for a long while

10:51 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

A great project to be involved in. One day I may see it for myself, you never know ;) Meantime - all the photos and images bring it to me. I can hear the bird song, smell the earth ...

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home