Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Jeff Buckley

Both the Emily D poem and this song, the Corpus Christi Carol, were featured on this week's excellent contribution to BBC Radio 4's Something Understood, which is on the subject of pain.

I hope to catch up with folk at the weekend. Life is busy just now. The "big garden" is taking a lot of my time, supervising work, buying in material etc, plus I have had the house draughtproofed under an O2 funded energy saving project, and we had to clear the loft out at short notice so they could lag it to a depth of 12''. Then I had to get rid of all the rubbish we dragged down. So I'm managing to do very little in terms of my own projects at present.

The "detox" from Arimidex is going well, after only ten days my sleep has improved by leaps and bounds, and after 6 years of insomnia I can tell you that that it very welcome. My mood is also much better, which I'm pleased about too, as it was awful to feel quite so low for so long. It had become hard to determine what the true me was like any more!

This song is so beautiful, and dates from the 15th century. It is for my good friend Robert, who buries his dear wife today after a nine year battle with two cruel illnesses.


4 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

So sorry about your friend - may she rest in peace.
It's good news that you are sleeping better- thsa will do you a power of good.
We went through the whole loft business -what a mess - I'm still clearing up.

10:46 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I hope that things continue to go well with your sleeping.
What a beautiful song. Sorry about your friend.
Things sound busy for you; hope you get a bit of a breather soon!

10:34 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

It wouldn't have been immediately apparent that you had been feeling low for a long time, you are very strong. Now you'll be able really to fly!

I was curious about Jeff Buckley, who I hadn't really heard much about until just the other day when I listened to that radion programme about the Leonard Cohen song 'Hallelujah', and how it has often been said his version rather ruined everyone else's. The Song is exquisite, could perhaps be almnost unbearably painful for your friend, but the kind of thing that if you could bear it, could help.

10:52 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

I may give him this song in due course. He's in bits just now as he adored S and has looked after her for a long time.

She was a very beautiful woman.

I'm glad I don't appear low - I try to keep doing things and that helps.
Although my joints are aching at the moment and I just hope it willstop after I've completely got the oestrogen inhibitor ot of my system.

5:02 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home