Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dahlias


Last year I was lucky enough to get close to some show dahlias. They were such amazing shapes, real camera sluts. So I decided to try growing some myself under glass. This is one, whose name escapes me right now, something with midnight in it, is so dark and lovely.

Today I got asked by a friend to shoot a calendar for her school, it's a tiny country place with only a few pupils, so it should be good fun.
And today we finally staked out the new border in the big garden, we've been rained off two weeks in a row. I got to draw on the ground with spray survey paint, which was great fun, and tonight I've mapped everything on graph paper and worked out the size of the various beds. I've also done a huge plant list and I'm making an appointment to see our main supplier to discuss what will be the best options on it. Just wish the vandal problem was as easy to solve.


6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like the way that the texture comes across in the photo. The dahlias look very velvety.

8:05 am  
Blogger Pat said...

That deep red look so gorgeous at this time of year. Note you are lazing around doing nothing - as per:)

10:20 am  
Blogger Colin Will said...

Beautiful flower - I could be converted to like dahlias. Possibly. Speaking of calendars, the Dunbar group is making a calendar at the moment - text and images by members. A nice project.

4:58 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

The photo of the dahlia is scrumptious! I have very fond memories of dahlias ... I love their smell.

3:01 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

That dark wine red looks sumptuous on your black blog! I'm rather taken with them this year, and we talk a lot about which ones we like best, the compact or the pointy ones, which colours...

Pi's right though, about your general indolence and inactivity!;~)

2:05 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes they do have lots of different forms, catus type etc.

I'm with Stephen Lloyd in thinking they are great late summer colour. I like all things Mexican.

There a graden snobbery that says you can only really grow Bishop of Llanduff (splg?) a dark flower with purple foliage.

10:59 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home