Sunday, July 22, 2007

Wet, Wet ,WWWWWeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttttttt


I want to be like Liza Minnelli/Sally Bowles in Cabaret and find a railway arch, run under it,wait for a train and then just scream very loudly at how sick I am of being wet!

I saw a weather forecast last night that said the system that was soaking the UK had clouds thirty thousand feet thick - no wonder I feel like I'm being smothered.

We're lucky in that we're not a risk of being flooded, although we did experience it years ago in our old house - we had to run in the night with what we could carry -which included our eighteen month old son who we plucked sound as a pound from his cot. It was terrifying and the morning after was even worse when we saw what the river and the drains had done to the house. We were out of our home for eight months while it was repaired, and looking after a building site, while working and living in temporary accommodation, with a young child is not recommended.

So my sympathies go out to everyone affected, from the news it looks like Severn upon Upton would be a more accurate name for that poor unfortunate town.

And the garden is just crazy, last year I toyed with replanting for drought as things that appreciated moderate rainfall toiled in the hot dry conditions, now they are bouncing with life, things like astilbes, and small flowered species fuchsias.

So it's hard to know what to grow, apart from rice maybe.

But I'm delighted to note my tiny wild orchid had flowered again, in amongst a pot of yellow loosestrife which is growing in the horse-trough. I can't identify it as there are about 60 species of wild orchid in Britain, and the differences between some are infinitesimal.

This is a photo of some giant hogweed caught in rising waters of the local river, shows just how tough it is to take that sort of pressure on its stem.

6 Comments:

Blogger S. Kearney said...

Hi there, :)
Congratulations again on your win in the lion circle contest! Now it's time to get a book voucher to you. Could you please send me an email to let me know which Amazon site you would like to redeem the voucher at ie: amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.fr, etc. I need your up-to-date email address plus the Amazon site of your choice. The voucher can only be redeemed at the site you choose and this can't be changed afterwards. Send your email to: seamuskearney@gmail.com
You may have already sent these details but please send them again because my normal email account (at caramail) is out of action/unable to be accessed because of an upgrade. Thanks, and congratulations once again, Seamus.

1:33 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

30,000 deep clouds ooks! And do you remember the series Day of the Triffids? Although to me the Triffids looked like giant rhubard, they seem to have taken their qualities from Hogweed.

8:39 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

All that rain - it's astounding; rather unsettling I can imagine. I wonder if it is being collected in order to be sold / given to countries who are suffering droughts?

8:44 am  
Blogger Pat said...

As MTL said today 'We haven't had a summer!'
You really understand what the poor unfortunate people who are flooded are enduring. If it were me I would feel completely beleagured. I think every MP should for once earn their keep and do all they can to relieve the situation. It isn't abroad it's here - our country with our people and they need help!
And as for droughts - they are running out of water to drink.

11:07 am  
Blogger savannah said...

glad you're safe and sound, been trying to connect with all my uk friends since we first heard of your horrible rains...we're not strnagers to flooding in this region of the states...seems as if the world is either drowning or parched...

3:10 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Shameless, sorry to be so tardy, I've e-mailed now.

V, yes I remember that progromme, and yes hogweed is otherwordly

CB I wish we could pass it on. It worries me that the Gulf Stream is being disrupted in some way, if so the UK weather systems would be really messed up.

S our floods are tiny by comparison, but I guess it is all a question of scale.
Hope your friend are OK

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home