Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hi Honey, I'm home!




Well I had a wonderful few days. We packed so much in I feel I've been away forever.
And my two friends, who hadn't met each other before, got on really well, which is always nice to see.

I haven't laughed out loud to the point of crying for in quite a while, so that alone made the trip feel like a fantastic tonic. We had lots of running gags going on, not least Barbara putting a six pack of beer in the freezer and forgetting it until it was a frozen, fizzing, spitting bomb. And the old lady across the street kept watching us from her window with great suspicion, while appearing to smoke a massive spliff.

We worked hard and played hard and the garden open day on Sunday was blessed with perfect weather and big crowds. We ran the PGG, the Professional Gardeners Guild, plant sale and I got some great material for poems and stories just from all the customers we met - including a former boss of mine from way back. Just shows you what a small world it is. The head gardener gave us lots of goodies to bring home and I've just spent the morning planting some of them and planning where else to put the rest.

I took a lot of pictures, but as I shoot in RAW format I have a big editing job ahead of me.
So this is one picture of Culross, a place Beth and I visited on the way north.
It was the site of one of Scotland's first coal barons from the 16th century, this was his kitchen garden.

On the way home we visited Louis Grassic Gibbon museum on the Howe of the Mearns, and now I want to read Sunset Song again. Here are few lines of his that I jotted in my notebook:

"We talked the moon into morning"


"the next you'd waken with the peewits (lapwings) crying across the hills, deep and deep, crying into the heart of you and the smell of the earth in your face, almost you'd cry for that - the beauty of it and the sweetness of the Scottish land and skies........"

Such fantastic language by a man dead at thirty three.

And then I came home to the wonderful surprise that I got placed in Shameless Lions Writing Circle Awards. I'm really thrilled, as I know there are a lot of first rate writers in the circle, and to be honest I feel a bit of fraud even trying to compete with you. So a big thank you to Shameless for all his hard work in organising it and to everyone who voted for me, you've no idea what a boost it is to my confidence.
And congrats to Kay at asithappens for her well deserved placings.

And now I'll proudly display my certificates, although I won't put them in the sidebar as I always mess up the html margins when I do!

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on your win Apprentice and it sounds like you had a fantastic week away.
Re your HTML margins, set them to width 215 and height 200 and it should be alright (I obviously fart around with my margins far too much!)

4:06 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

You clever girl - congratulations! Two prizes that's great. Your break has obviously don you a power of good and there 'aint nothing more healing than laughter. Time I wa in bed!

12:07 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks V. I'll look at the margins thing, though I'm not sure if you mean I should resize the certificates or the margins.

Thanks Pat. Yes it did do me a lot of good. My FIL is coming today for a few days it will be good to see him and to look after him a bit.

9:08 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh sorry Apprentice. I shall clarify now, PHOTO not margins. Otherwise you end up with a wee small box of a margin and I don't think you'll be very happy with me.

10:53 am  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Well done! That's very cool.

And welcome back - the trip sounds like a right jolly affair and your historical notes on it are just the thing.

Looking forward to the photays!

5:28 pm  
Blogger Roary Lyon said...

Wait, wait, there's a THIRD award you need to hang on your wall: Vermillion is one of the beautiful lions. An award-winning lion! Vermillion, why didn't you speak up and tell her?

Actually, Vermillion, I came by to tell you that you are invited to visit my lion's den, The Literary Lion of Lyon. My mate Sophia has delivered our first cubs. Yes, twins!

Roary ^..^ we have two ^..^

3:11 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Congratulations to you too! I was even more thrilled for you I think than for myself as I knew it would be affirmation for you of how wonderfully you use words and shape them into some lovely pieces of poetry.
Glad you had such a great time away. Good for both the body and soul I suspect.

3:40 am  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Congratulations again,
The awards look so nice up on your page, and they are very well deserved.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

4:14 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

thanks all, I do feel honoured to be in such good company, here and in over at the lyon lions

11:05 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Congratulations on the awards.
I read 'Sunset Song' when I was staying on Iona years ago, liked it a lot and always meant to read the others. I didn't know LGG died so young.

5:59 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home