Friday, June 29, 2007

Time to sow


I have a cold, think my son brought it back from Spain as he was coughing and spluttering.

So I worked in the greenhouse this morning as I can breathe better in there.
I sowed some seeds that I've had for a while. I paid for a share in a plant hunting expedition to collect seed from an island in the Sea of Othotsk - which is off the coast of the eastern shore of Russia. Most of the herbaceous stuff that came back was in the angelica/hog-weed family so I didn't plant any of it for fear of being the cause of some horrible garden escapee. But I also have meadow sweet and thalictrum seeds, as well as something the plant hunters called "red propeller", as they were not entirely sure what it was. It has been so damp here that I think all three of these might do quite well in my garden, I already have two varieties of thalictrum, it's a lovely airy plant, the leaves remind one of a fern, with delicate fuzzy mop head flowers.

It will be interesting to see if anything germinates.

I took this picture up on the moors yesterday, quite why anyone would expect a fence like this to withstand the weather up there is beyond me, but I like the stark weathered leaning look of it.

7 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

i hope you get to feeling better!

for some reason, the concept of gardening and green houses fascinates me. well, actually ppl who have the patience to do it and do it well.

have a good weekend!

11:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Those plants sound intriguingly different to roses and lilies! GREAT photo - quite dramatic - poetic. Black and white is a good way of providing atmosphere isn't it? I must give it a go.

5:19 am  
Blogger Pat said...

I like that shot a lot. Echinea - not sure of spelling but should help your cold. Be careful coming out of the warm into the cold.

8:22 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks BB. You'll get around to gardening yet, no-oe really tries it until they're about thirty or so, it comes with putting down your own roots.

Thanks CB, yes try B&W. Sometimes subjects just suggest themselves or they wouldn't really work in colour.

Thank Pat, yes I should get some, feeling a bit wabbit with it.

11:54 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the photo Apprentice and hope the cold is getting better.

12:17 pm  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I love that photo. Wide open spaces. I want to run and run in wide open spaces. Everytime I hear or read the word 'moor' I think of The Secret Garden.

Time to sow...I have some shallot bulbs to plant. I'm not much of a gardener, but I do like to eat [non-chemically grown] shallots and other herbs.

Hope you feel better soon. Make sure you rest too!

1:55 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks girls!

GG shallots sound lovely.

12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home