Monday, July 02, 2007

Wildwood, a wonderful book



Wildwood:A Journey Through Trees by the late, great Roger Deakin. This book was serialised by BBC Radio 4 two weeks ago, and was reviewed extensively this weekend.

Deakin's forays into woods in England and abroad are fabulously crafted. He is fascinated by all aspects of woodland wildlife, as well as the crafts and arts associated with woods and trees. I particularly like his flight of ideas, which soar off the page like an albatross on a updraft.

And my favourite journey in the book is his trip through Kazakhstan looking for the mother of all apples - a big knobbly fruit that supermarkets would loath.

If like me you spent your childhood up in the "crow's nest" of some giant chesnut tree then this is the book for you.

(His previous book Waterlog described how he swam around Britain's ponds and rivers.)

Sadly he doesn't get to pinewoods, but this is a shot of the sort of slanting light in woods that I love.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I am so thankful that - apart from the terrorists no-one was injured at the airport - I thought of Sam - away from home - and all my Scottish friends. May you all keep safe.
Talking of books I am enjoying bedtime reading -'Salt in my Porridge' by Angus MacVicar. Wildwood sounds great.

9:30 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not sure about the book to be honest, but I love the picture.

10:03 am  
Blogger f:lux said...

Yes, beautiful photo (again)!

11:30 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Pat, yes poor Sam, who needs this kind of hassle when making such a sad journey.

V and F thanks re the picture. The book is a question of taste, but he really did love the countryside, which I find endearing

12:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home