Saturday, February 10, 2007

Words as colour


Yesterday I wrote, "I wish words were colours and then shades of meaning etc would be so much easier to spot and alter."

And then I remembered hearing about a condition called synesthesia.

"The phenomenon--its name derives from the Greek, meaning "to perceive together"--comes in many varieties. Some synesthetes hear, smell, taste or feel pain in color. Others taste shapes, and still others perceive written digits, letters and words in color. Some, who possess what researchers call "conceptual synesthesia," see abstract concepts, such as units of time or mathematical operations, as shapes projected either internally or in the space around them. And many synesthetes experience more than one form of the condition."

When asked if they would like to live without the condition most "suffers" say no, that it would be like living without an extra sense. I wish I could try it for a few minutes.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger blkbutterfly said...

oh this took me back to first semester of psych courses! i also found the phenomeon interesting, but i'm not too sure i'd like to experience it, at least not all the time.

then again, if it's like having another sense, it's probably not a bad thing at all.

2:21 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

I heard the person on the radio discuss the shade and colour of a maths problem, it was facinating to me. Others had specific colours for tastes.

9:12 am  
Blogger f:lux said...

LSD is reported to produce this effect in people, I've read.

1:51 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks flux I'll bear that in mind ;)

4:14 pm  
Blogger f:lux said...

Yeah, me too!

7:25 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home