Monday, February 19, 2007

Monday, Monday


Well S's funeral went well. The service was lovely, and hopefully everything she hoped it would be.

On a happier note I helped M, my music teacher, to plant trees this morning. She's turning her back garden into a mini orchard. We've now planted 6 espalier trees round the fences. Four went in last year, and are now bursting with fruiting spurs, and we planted two more today, a plum and a peach. M's Dad came down from the islands to build up the fence to a height to take them, and he's put in training wires. When the blossom breaks it's all going to look amazing. I'm trying to persuade her to terrace the rest of the garden, as she'd be able to grow so much more as it falls away by about four feet.

And I'm washing my greenhouse, a boring job, but it's wonderful to see it starting to gleam again, with all the winter grim and glup washed off. I even clean between the sheets of glass to get all the algae out. The grape vine, which runs along the roof, is looking good after a severe pruning during the winter, and I have a passion flower and a tender clematis growing through it to add interest. These are my home grown grapes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Glad to hear the funeral went as planned.

I'm impressed with your grapes. Ever thought about trying to create a vin d'Ecosse? If this global warming kicks in you could get ahead of the curve and be a pioneer of Scottish wine. All hail the grape, both great and good! Here's to Scotland getting on the grapey train!

11:25 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Hey that would be good wouldn't it.
Not sure I have the feet for it though! Certainly last year I got enough bunches for a few bottles, and my family aren't impressed cos they're not vasectomy grapes :).

English wines are staging a recovery with the new climate, especially organic wines, which are becoming very popular.

I'm hoping for a Scottish olive grove.

10:13 am  
Blogger Colin Will said...

I saw some olive trees for sale in Smeaton's nursery at the weekend. I've got an outdoor grape in a pot in Sunny Dunny, but it's moving to Amisfield soon. The grapes are white and intensely sweet, but they're small, and the crop is small, both because of the pot.

1:11 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

It'll love Amisfield, plenty space tp romp away. My rootstock is outside, and then it comes in under the founds, that way it gets enough rain, and the roots get a winter chill. Mine's a Black Hamburg I think, it's 10 years since I planted so relying on memory now.

3:26 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

I love that metallic sheen on the berries - very cat walk!

4:06 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

For berries read grapes. Doh!

4:09 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Thanks Pi, yes the ripen with a lovely blush on them.

9:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home